Torta D'Amore e Mele
Nonna has always taught us that baking is good for your mind, it’s creative and makes other people happy. LOVE – AMORE /AH-MOH-REH/ is the main ingredient for every recipe and this one has plenty of it.
– 300g plain flour
– 150g sugar
– 60g butter, soften
– 3 eggs
– 60g milk
– 3tbs ground cinnamon
– 1 tbs natural yoghurt
– 3 apples, skin on and finely sliced
– 15g baking powder
– juice of 1 lemon
– cup of water
– icing sugar for decoration
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease and line a deep 20cm cake with baking parchment. Core and cut the apples into thin slices and soak them in a little water with lemon juice.
2. Using an electric mixer beat the egg whites until stiff and put them aside. Beat the yolks and the sugar until pale and fluffy. While still mixing add the butter, the flour, the milk, the egg whites, the yoghurt and the cinnamon. Finally add the baking powder and mix well.
3. Pour the mixture into the tin. Drain the apple slices and carefully place them with their skin up on the mixture starting from the centre towards the edges. Sprinkle some sugar.
4. Bake for 35/40 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes and then carefully turn out onto a wire rack to cool further. Before serving sprinkle some icing sugar